Kitakami Photoblog

Daily photos from Kitakami, a small town in Northern Japan, and its surroundings.

Monday, April 02, 2007

The governor candidate Nr. 5

These are the official billboards for the Iwate governor election (taking place on April 8). Every candidate has his designated space. The guy top right is not a manga character, but one of the candidates, "The great Sasuke" . He's a former wrestler, wearing his mask already while acting officially as a prefectural assembly member (with special authorization) - and intends to continue wearing it if he is elected governor. He hopes "to revitalize Iwate" and wants to cut the governor's salary by 80 %.
I wonder if many people take him seriously - on the other hand, the Japanese just love manga and eccentric people.
I'll let you know his result!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

... and their campaign trucks with the loudspeakers on them make so much noise! When is the election?

9:07 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

On April 8th.
So did you arrive in Kitakami? How do you like it?

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did, I arrived last Wednesday and have been getting settled in. I've done lots of shopping at PAL.

I think it is too early to judge the place; everything is still so new and exciting. The people are friendly, of course, and that's a plus. I was rather surprised to have snow my first two days here, though!

I like my apartment in Kawagishi. It is right near Kitakami station, between the tracks. Maybe for most people this would be undesirable, but I love Japanese trains so it's like a dream home for me! Unfortunately I will have to move in a few months...

How long have you been here?

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS - you can e-mail me if you'd rather have this discussion somewhere other than your comments section. :) matthew@houseofflameandglass.com

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home