Kitakami Photoblog

Daily photos from Kitakami, a small town in Northern Japan, and its surroundings.

Thursday, March 29, 2007

How very thoughtful

In our neighbourhood, there is a nice promenade alongside a small river, crossing it several times. I was amazed to see that for the winter, old carpets have been fixed on the wooden bridges to avoid accidents. In Japan, there are really many eventualities being taking care of, by administrations or other institutions, thus saving people the trouble of having to take care themselves.
If for example you swim in a public pool, you have to respect the mandatory rest times, ten minutes every hour, generally from 10 off to the full hour. This is to avoid that people get exhausted by swimming for hours and hours, without rest. And even if you have only just arrived, you have to get out of the pool , sit on a bank and relax like anybody else.

3 Comments:

Blogger Fabrizio Zanelli said...

Often I find myself to think that Japanese, when abroad and especially in western countries, feel bad because we are so different and unpolite compared to them. I deeply love your way of life.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Mountaincat said...

Even I go to swimming pool often, I just saw all people getting out only once - in summer pool. I did not know why they got out. Maybe some problem with water etc.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

@ Fabrizio: That's true, they often feel strange and think life is quite dangerous there! I also like the Japanese way of life, though not all of it (I'm from Germany).
@ mountaincat: In private pools and pools attached to fitness clubs, they don't apply this relaxation break, as far as I know. And I think that also in public pools they may be about to change this rule

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home