Kitakami Photoblog

Daily photos from Kitakami, a small town in Northern Japan, and its surroundings.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Sea grapes

I have eaten this very special dish for the first time yesterday evening in a small restaurant serving specialities fom Okinawa, the island in the very south of Japan.
It's called umi budo (sea grapes) and it is a delicate, light-green seaweed with small bubbles covering its branches all over. It's scientific name should be Caulepa rentillifera. When you eat it, the bubbles pop nicely in your mouth, leaving a salty sea taste. They are rich in minerals, and I read they can inhibit the growth of cancer and boost immune system.
If you want to know more about Okinawa and this seaweed, go here.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about that! I was there for lunch, and they were talking about a group of foreigners who would be coming for dinner... that must have been you!

I enjoyed the umi budou very much indeed. I expect I'll be going back there before long...

4:43 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Indeed, now as you say it, I remember they were talking about a foreigner having been there for lunch - so they were talking about you! Kitakami's a small place!

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want to buy sea grape, please contact me via eamil sales08@sovimexco.com we are supplier of dried seaweed in Vietnam.

many Thanks
sami

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We supply fresh sea grape.
contact with me for more information
Scarlett@vncimex.com

Scarlett, Vietnam

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home