Kitakami Photoblog

Daily photos from Kitakami, a small town in Northern Japan, and its surroundings.

Monday, November 27, 2006

Poor dog

This friendly Golden Retriever never gets out of this cage - and "never" means really never - not even for a walk, as you can see in the excrements he's sitting in. The cage is in front of a house selling company, I guess the dog is meant to be some kind of decoration. They give him food and water, and once in a while the excrements are flushed away with a hosepipe, and that's it.

In Japan, there are many dogs living like this. In the immediate surroundings of our house I know already three of them. Instead of a cage it may be as well a short chain attached to a hut. None of them is ever being walked or played with or allowed to meet some fellow canines. Really a dog's life.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's horrible. I'm sad to hear that this is so common in japan :(

12:43 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

I would say at least 50 % of all dogs in this town live attached at a hut in front of the house (although most of them are walked at least once a day).
Then there are perhaps 5 - 10 % which live "normally" as I understand it (as part of the family in the house), and the rest is treated like a baby, put in clothes, always carried around - the other extreme! See this excellent french blog for some photos:
http://vincent-japon.blogspot.com/2006/03/chiens-de-cirque.html

10:48 AM  
Blogger Sally said...

Heartbreaking.

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Julia! My name is Martina and I currently live in Kitakami as well. I read this blog one day last fall and felt really sad about it. Then, this March, I walked past her (her name's Sakura) while making my way down to the river walk and recognized her from your photos. I went inside and asked the office people if they'd mind me walking her daily. They gave me a leash and off we went. She still lives in a poop-filled cage and is ridiculously stinky, but the walks and lil snacks I give her are helping I think. Once it's warm enough to bathe her, I'll do that as well.
I'm really happy you put this photo up as it was what inspired me. Unfortunately, I will be leaving in August, so if you know anyone who aches for puppy love, send them to her!
Take care!

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home