Kitakami Photoblog

Daily photos from Kitakami, a small town in Northern Japan, and its surroundings.

Monday, March 05, 2007

Alcohol and tabac

Advertisement sign in front of a konbini (convenience store), topped by a tiny flashing light to make sure that anybody will notice. The kanji above means literally "o sake", but is generally used for alcohol. Kanji are originally coming from China. On the red part of the sign is written "tabako", this time in hiragana. Hiragana is one of the two syllabaries (the other is katakana, used exclusively for foreign words) which are used in japanese if there is no kanji for a word. I read that they make about 40% of an average japanese text.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I hope you had a great time in Europe.

I have been fascinated reading your photoblog, as I will be moving to Kitakami at the end of March.

2:39 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

Really! What will you be doing here? Are you already living in Japan right now?
If you want to see more of Kitakami, have a look at my other blog; it's in german, but there are lots of pictures of Kitakami and the Iwate region, too.
See you,
Julia

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be teaching at James English School starting April 1. I'm not in Japan yet, but will be getting to Tokyo on 3/25.

I had a look at your other blog, and wanted to ask you - where is that onsen in the snow? The scene is very appealing!

What are you doing there? Are there many other gaikokujin in Kitakami?

9:08 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

Let's see ... onsen in the snow ... I think that must be Kougeikan, which is really great.(http://www.kougeikan.jp/yokushitu.htm), close to Hanamaki, the neighbouring city of Kitakami, about half an hour by car away.

There are quite few gaijin here, most of them english teachers from America, England and New Zealand. Other nationalities are rare, for exemple we are the only Germans here. And I'm not teaching anything; for the moment I am a housewife, my husband is working here at a research institute.

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home